Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Envy


Out of our Lenten studies at the deanery last night came the sharing of this prayer dealing with envy and in our group it rang so many 'bells' we all begged the one who told us of it that it be shared. I am grateful to note it here. I understand it was published posthumously in 1662, in a volume entitled "Good Thoughts in Bad Times", the author was one Thomas Fuller.

Envy

Let us pray for  ourselves; that we may be delivered from  restless egoism.

Lord, I perceive  my soul deeply guilty of envy.

I had rather thy work were undone than done better by another than by myself. Dispossess me, Lord, of this bad spirit, and turn my envy into holy emulation. Yea, make the gifts of others to be mine by making me thankful to thee for them.

For Jesus Christ's sake, Amen.


Post a Comment