Pages

Friday, September 5, 2014

Pre-Election Thoughts (1)




I view this election with dread and have an anxiety that if a different government is not elected this country may lose the last chance it has to reclaim a compassionate society and a government that works for the common good.


I stumbled across this quote, which is attributed to Abraham Lincoln. It seems remarkably prescient and could have been written for this election. Across the years this warning reaches us – perhaps it is ironic that it comes from the USA.


“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”


Post a Comment